SpareFoot is getting into the speed-dating business. Calm down, though. It’s not quite what you think.
On June 18, SpareFoot will host a speed-dating event to recruit people for our Amazing Customer Experience (ACE) Team. One of the speed-dating sessions will be from 6-7 p.m. and the other from 7:30-8:30 p.m. at SpareFoot’s headquarters (720 Brazos St. in downtown Austin). During each session, 15 ACE applicants will visit for three minutes each with 15 members of the ACE Team. “When the gong sounds, you rotate seats and get to meet someone new,” SpareFoot recruiter Katie Smith said.
We Want You!
In essence, these are mini-interviews aimed at bringing aboard 25 more members of the ACE Team. Now, the team has 58 members who help customers find and book self-storage units across the U.S.
“We are seeking unique individuals with customer service and sales experience, a passion to learn and grow with a highly successful startup, and inquisitive personalities,” Smith said.
By the way, wine and cheese will be served during each speed-dating session.
How Do You Sign Up?
If you want to attend one of the June 18 speed-dating sessions, apply for the ACE Team Member position on the jobs section of SpareFoot’s website. Then, send an email with the subject line “ACE Speed Date” to firstname.lastname@example.org. The first 30 RSVPs with submitted applications will be signed up for the speed-dating event.
If you do miss out on the June 18 opportunity, we’ll be hosting another speed-dating event in July to fill positions on the ACE Team. Stay tuned to this blog for details.
“We look forward to receiving your applications and inviting you to get to know our kick-ass ACE Team,” Smith said.
No Real Dating
Just in case you thought otherwise, these are not actual speed-dating sessions designed to forge romantic relationships. You’re applying for a job, so you can leave your pickup lines at home.
“If you think these are actual dates, this could get pretty awkward,” Smith said.
While speed-dating experts recommend you get all dressed up to meet your potential spouse, we embrace a casual dress code at SpareFoot. In other words, put on your casual attire for SpareFoot’s speed-dating event and leave the suit or dress in your closet.
Four Speed-Dating Tips
If you’re a little rusty at speed dating or are a speed-dating newbie, here are four insights that could help you establish a professional relationship with SpareFoot.
1. Want to be original? Try avoiding the three most commonly asked and answered speed-dating questions:
- What do you do?
- Where do you work?
- What do you do outside work?
2. Come up with interesting questions ahead of the speed-dating event. “As an alternative to off-the-wall questions, spend a couple of minutes reading up on odd news stories you can pull out of your sleeve just in case. The guy with the nugget about the pole-dancing zoo animal may not be in high demand out on the streets, but he’ll inevitably leave an impression at speed dating, just by having offered something different,” AskMen.com says.
3. Focus on the positive, since you have only a few minutes to sell yourself. “Don’t talk … about how you lost your job, can’t find work and have had to move in with your grandparents,” AskMen.com advises.
4. Remember that first impressions really do count. In a speed-dating study by Ireland’s Trinity College, “daters knew almost immediately whether or not they liked someone and that initial perception had a great deal to do with whether the person was ultimately chosen as a date,” Time.com reported. MensHealth.com emphasizes the need to smile, be friendly, be polite and make “good” eye contact.