Where New Residents of Las Vegas Are Moving From

Al Harris
June 2, 2016
Find Self-Storage

Tens of millions people visit Las Vegas every year, and believe it or not, some people never leave.

The metro area population grew 2.0 percent from 2013 to 2014, according to the latest census figures. That means the population grew by 40,365 people, reaching a total population of 2.07 million people.

While some of the growth can be attributed to birth rates and immigration, the big chunk of new residents are movers from within Nevada and across the U.S.

So where are all those people coming from?

Another census study, conducted over five years from 2009-2013, gives us a pretty good idea of all the different places new Las Vegans are coming from.

Clark County, where the city proper is located, attracted 89,248 domestic movers during the five year span of time. Nearly all, 95 percent, came from out of the state, while the remaining 5 percent came from out of state.

Below are rankings for the top five counties of origin for movers to Clark County:

Movers outside of Nevada:

  1. Los Angeles, CA
  2. Maricopa County, AZ (Phoenix)
  3. San Bernardino County, CA
  4. San Diego County, CA
  5. Honolulu County, HI

Movers from Nevada:

  1. Washoe County
  2. Nye County
  3. Lyon County
  4. White Pine County
  5. Carson City

Embed this image on your site (copy the code below):

All that movement generates demand for local self-storage facilities.

In 2015, relocation (moving) was the number one reason Los Angeles consumers gave for needing storage, with 45% of SpareFoot survey respondents in the market using storage for that reason. This is in line with the national average–about half of the people that book storage on SpareFoot are doing so because of a move.


Recent Posts