Where Are All the New Residents of Cincinnati Moving From?

In the Midwest, Cincinnati has one of the fastest growing economies, and that economy doesn’t depend on just one industry or big employer. Rather, the area is home to companies in industries as varied as auto-making, banking, consumer goods and education.

Perhaps that’s one of the reasons Cincinnati is growing. In fact, the metro area’s population went from 2,155,392 to 2,165,139 residents between July 2015 and July 2016, a 0.45 percent rise, according to the latest census data. During that time, the population of Hamilton County, where Cincinnati is located, grew slightly more slowly. It went from 807,748 to 809,099, a .17 percent increase. (The metro area is larger than the county, and its population is bigger.)

Over the longer term, Hamilton County has gained thousands of new residents. Some of that growth comes from new births and immigration, but a good chunk of it is also due to people moving into the area from other places in the U.S. Indeed, the county attracted 37,336 domestic movers from 2011 to 2015, according to another census study that covers those years.

Where, you’re probably asking, are all those people moving from?

That same census study gives us a pretty good idea. Most of them (52 percent) are coming from elsewhere in Ohio, and the rest (48 percent) are moving from other states, mostly from places very close to Cincinnati, mainly Kentucky.

Below are rankings for the top five counties of origin for movers to Hamilton County:

Movers outside of Ohio:

  1. Kenton County, KY (just across the Ohio River from Cincinnati)
  2. Campbell County, KY (also just across the Ohio River from Cincinnati)
  3. Cook County, IL (Chicago)
  4. Boone County, KY (west of Kenton County)
  5. Dearborn County, IN

Movers from Ohio:

  1. Butler County
  2. Clermont County
  3. Warren County
  4. Franklin County
  5. Montgomery County

Above are the top places inside Ohio that people moved to Hamilton County from over the five-year period 2011-2015. Numbers represent the number of movers from that place during the period.


City of Blue Ash, Ohio

U.S. Census Bureau

Elizabeth Whalen