Where Are All the New Residents of Minneapolis Moving From?

For football fans, Minneapolis is the host of Superbowl 52. For shopaholics, it’s home to the Mall of America, and for music fans, it’s a place to pay tribute to one of the greatest American musicians of all time, Prince.

Minneapolis is also an economically prosperous place. In fact, Minnesota’s median household income of $68,730 puts it at sixth in the nation, according to census data.

That combination of entertainment diversity and economic opportunity is appealing and no doubt helped contribute to the metro area adding more than 32,000 residents between July 2015 and July 2016, according to the latest census data. The metro area of course includes the other half of the Twin Cities and state capital—St. Paul.

During that time, the population went from 3,518,252 to 3,551,036, a 0.93 percent increase. Hennepin County, where Minneapolis is located, grew slightly more quickly during that time, going from 1,220,459 to 1,232,483 people, a 1 percent increase. (The metro area is larger than the county, and so is its population.)

Some of that growth comes from new births and immigration, but a good chunk of it is also due to people moving into Minneapolis from other places in the U.S. Indeed, Hennepin County attracted 72,100 domestic movers from 2011 to 2015, according to another census study that covers those years.

Where are all those people coming from? That same census study gives us a pretty good idea. The majority, 58 percent, is moving from within Minnesota, while the rest, 42 percent, is moving from other places in the U.S.. Among Minnesota movers, 27.4 percent came from neighboring Ramsay County, where St. Paul is located.

Below are rankings for the top five counties of origin for movers to Hennepin County:

Movers outside of Minnesota:

  1. Cook County, IL (Chicago)
  2. Los Angeles County, CA
  3. Dane County, WI (Madison)
  4. Maricopa County, AZ (Phoenix)
  5. Brown County, WI (Green Bay)

Movers from Minnesota:

  1. Ramsey County
  2. Dakota County
  3. Anoka County
  4. Washington County
  5. Carver County

Above are the top places inside Minnesota that people moved to Hennepin County from over the five-year period 2011-2015. Numbers represent the number of movers from that place during the period.

 



Elizabeth Whalen