Where Everybody in Orlando is Moving From

Orlando is perhaps best known as the home of theme parks of all kinds, including one where you can feed giant alligators up close—really, it’s called Gatorland.

But the Florida city is also home to the Central Florida Research Park, which hosts more than 100 companies, connects businesses to the University of Central Florida and helps support the local technology and defense industries.

Whether they’re coming for the fun or for more serious purposes, people are moving to Orlando. The metro area’s population increased by 2.48 percent between July 2015 and July 2016. That’s an increase from 2,382,132 to 2,441,257 people, according to the latest census data. During that time, the population of Orange County, where Orlando is located, went from 1,284,864 to 1,314,367, a 2.3 percent increase. (The metro area includes Orlando, Daytona Beach, Kissimmee, Sanford and other places, so it has a larger population than Orange County does.)

Of course, at least some of Orlando’s population growth stems from local births, but some also resulted from a different kind of new arrival. Another census study found that between 2011 and 2015, 89,436 people moved to Orlando from elsewhere.

That same study also tells us where all those people are coming from. A little more than half (54 percent, or 48,411 people) of domestic movers came to Orange County from other places within Florida. The rest (46 percent, or 41,025 people) moved in from out of state, and many of them came from Puerto Rico.

Below are rankings for the top five counties of origin for movers to Orange County:

Movers outside of Florida (2011-2015):

  1. San Juan Municipality, PR: 1,815
  2. Kings County, NY (Brooklyn): 1,176
  3. Cook County, IL (Chicago): 1,109
  4. Queens County, NY (Queens): 680
  5. Canóvanas Municipality, PR: 583

Movers from Florida (2011-2015):

  1. Seminole County: 9,227
  2. Osceola County: 4,146
  3. Miami-Dade County: 4,013
  4. Broward County: 3,755
  5. Polk County: 3,236



Central Florida Research Park

U.S. Census Bureau

Elizabeth Whalen