Where New Residents of San Antonio Are Moving From

San Antonio is one of the fastest growing places in America.

The city added a net total of 29,536 new residents from 2014 to 2015, which was the fourth largest numeric increase in the country. The metro area as a whole grew by 2.2 percent during the same time reaching a total of 2.38 million people.

All that growth made us at SpareFoot wonder, where are all those people coming from?

We took a deep dive into some historical census data to find out where people are moving to San Antonio from.

Moving to San Antonio

We examined data from 2009-2013 that shows county to county migration patterns across the United States.

Looking at inbound migration to Bexar County, we found that 87,767 people moved to the county during a five year period.  Just over half, 51 percent, moved from somewhere else in Texas. The other 49 percent moved to San Antone from out of state.

For out-of-state movers, these are the most common counties of origin:

  1. Los Angeles County, CA
  2. Honolulu County, HI
  3. San Diego County , CA
  4. Cook County, IL (Chicago)
  5. Hillsborough County, FL (Tampa)
  6. Orange County, CA
  7. Maricopa County, AZ (Phoenix
  8. Okalossa County, FL
  9. Bernalillo County, NM (Alberquerque)
  10. Cochise County, AZ
Current Trends

All that movement generates demand for local self-storage facilities.

SpareFoot looked at our own data to see where people are moving to the San Antonio metro area from currently.

To compile our list, we looked at the number of SpareFoot.com searchers for storage in the San Antonio metro area from April 2015 through April 2016. We also found the top ten places those searches originated from.

Based on our data, the largest volume of movers are coming from Houston, making up almost 50 percent of the top ten. The largest out of state destination was Los Angeles, making up just over 3 percent.

Below are the top ten metro areas where people are searching for storage in San Antonio, along with the percent share of searchers among the top 10:

Houston-Galveston-Brazoria TX 49.5%
Austin-San Marcos TX 18.3%
Dallas-Fort Worth TX 17.3%
Los Angeles-Riverside-Orange County CA 3.3%
Washington-Baltimore DC-MD-VA-WV 2.6%
New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island 2.4%
San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose CA 1.9%
Seattle-Tacoma-Bremerton WA 1.8%
Chicago-Gary-Kenosha IL-IN-WI 1.6%
Corpus Christi TX 1.4%

We believe that storage searches made from one city for storage space in another city likely indicates intent to relocate to that city.


Embed this image on your site (copy the code below):



Al Harris