Where New Residents of San Diego Are Moving From

Between the job opportunities, beautiful parks, idyllic weather and sunshine–San Diego has a lot to offer.

The metro area population grew 1.3 percent from 2013 to 2014, according to the latest census figures. That means the population grew by 40,873 people, reaching a total population of 3.26 million.

While some of the growth can be attributed to birth rates and immigration, the big chunk of new residents are movers from within California and across the U.S.

So where are all those people coming from?

Another census study, conducted over five years from 2009-2013, gives us a pretty good idea of all the different places new San Diegans are coming from.

San Diego County, which contains the city and surrounding communities like Carlsbad, attracted 121,284 domestic movers during the five year span of time. More than half, 58.71 percent, came from other states, while the other 41.29 percent came from other counties within California.

Below are rankings for the top five counties of origin for movers to San Diego County:

Movers outside of California:

  1. Clark County, NV (Las Vegas)
  2. Maricopa County, AZ (Phoenix)
  3. Honolulu County, HI
  4. King County, WA (Seattle)
  5. Escambia County, FL (Pensacola)

Movers from California:

  1. Los Angeles County
  2. Riverside County
  3. Orange County
  4. San Bernardino County
  5. Santa Clara County

Embed this image on your site (copy the code below):

All that movement generates demand for local self-storage facilities.

In 2015, relocation (moving) was the number one reason San Diego consumers gave for needing storage, with 38% of SpareFoot survey respondents in the market using storage for that reason. The next closest reason for renting a storage unit in San Diego was decluttering, at 24%.

This is a bit lower than the national average–about half of the people that book storage on SpareFoot are doing so because of a move.

Al Harris