Where New Residents of Seattle Are Moving From

Seattle might have a reputation for its high number of rainy days, but that doesn’t stop people from moving there from sunnier climes.

The metro area population grew 1.6 percent from 2013 to 2014, according to the latest census figures. That means the population grew by 57,857 people, reaching a total population of 3.67 million.

While some of the growth can be attributed to birth rates and immigration, the big chunk of new residents are movers from within Washington and across the U.S.

So where are all those people coming from?

Another census study, conducted over five years from 2009-2013, gives us a pretty good idea of all the different places new Seattleites are coming from.

King County, where the city proper is located, attracted 102,580 domestic movers during the five year span of time. The majority, 61.52 percent, came from out of the state, while the other 38.48% came from within Washington.

Below are rankings for the top five counties of origin for movers to King County:

Movers outside of Washington:

  1. Los Angeles County, CA
  2. Maricopa County, AZ (Phoenix)
  3. San Diego County, CA
  4. Multnomah County, OR (Portland)
  5. Cook County, IL (Chicago)

Movers from Washington:

  1. Snohomish County
  2. Pierce County
  3. Spokane County
  4. Clark County
  5. Kitsap County

Embed this image on your site (copy the code below):

All that movement generates demand for local self-storage facilities.

In 2015, relocation (moving) was the number one reason Los Angeles consumers gave for needing storage, with 60% of SpareFoot survey respondents in the market using storage for that reason. This is higher than the national average–about half of the people that book storage on SpareFoot are doing so because of a move.

Al Harris