Where Everybody in Tallahassee is Moving From

Tallahassee is home to not just Florida’s capital but also the state’s oldest historically black public university and more than 370 species of birds. It’s also home to more residents, and many of them are moving from other places within the state.

Let’s break down the numbers. The Tallahassee metro-area population went from 379,047 to 382,627, a 0.9 percent increase, between July 2016 and July 2017, according to the latest census data. During that time, the population of Leon County, where Tallahassee is located, went from 287,074 to 290,292, a 1.1 percent increase. (The metro area includes four total counties, so it has a larger population than Leon County does.)

Some of that growth is due to local births, of course, but Tallahassee is also attracting new residents from other places. In fact, a total of 27,431 people moved to Leon County between 2011 and 2015, according to another census study.

So where are all those people coming from?

That same study gives us a pretty good idea. Nearly three quarters (71 percent, 19,401 people) moved in from other counties in Florida. The rest, 29 percent (8,030 people), moved to Leon County from other states.  About 1 of 4 of those out-of-staters crossed the border from Georgia.

Below are rankings for the top five counties of origin for movers to Leon County:

Movers outside of Florida:

  1. Chatham County, GA (Savannah): 327 movers
  2. Thomas County, GA (Thomasville): 275 movers
  3. Montgomery County, AL: 182 movers
  4. Rockdale County, GA (Conyers): 154 movers
  5. Wake County, NC (Raleigh): 149 movers

Movers from Florida:

  1. Broward County: 2,012 movers
  2. Gadsden County: 1,583 movers
  3. Palm Beach County: 1,487 movers
  4. Hillsborough County: 1,343 movers
  5. Lee County: 1,275 movers

 

Sources:

Florida State University, https://www.fsu.edu/about/students.html

Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University, http://www.famu.edu/index.cfm?AboutFAMU&Overview

Visit Tallahassee, http://www.visittallahassee.com/about-tallahassee/#history-4

U.S. Census Bureau

 



Elizabeth Whalen