Where Everybody in Trenton is Moving From

Trenton is perhaps best known as New Jersey’s capital and as the site of the Battle of Trenton during the Revolutionary War, but the city is also home to a unique art festival. Art All Night is a 24-hour event that allows people of all ages and skill levels to have their artwork displayed in a gallery space. Not ready to show off your work? The same group that runs Art All Night offers classes in everything from mosaic glass fusing to the art of storytelling.

We can’t say how many people in Trenton are aspiring artists, but we can tell you a little bit about the area’s population. In fact, nearly 20,000 people have moved to Trenton over the past few years. Let’s put that number into context. The metro-area population went from 373,660 to 374,733, an increase of 0.3 percent, between July 2016 and July 2017, according to the latest census data.

But, if we look further back in time, we see that a total of 19,945 people moved to Mercer County between 2011 and 2015, according to another census study. (The Trenton metro area and Mercer County have the same boundaries and same population.)

So where are all those people coming from?

That same study gives us a pretty good idea. More than half (59 percent or 11,772 people) moved to Trenton from other counties in New Jersey. The rest, 41 percent (8,173 people), moved in from other states, one in five of which came from New York.

Below are rankings for the top five counties of origin for movers to Mercer County:

Movers outside of New Jersey:

  1. Bucks County, PA (Levittown): 586 movers
  2. Kings County, NY (Brooklyn): 385 movers
  3. Los Angeles County, CA: 360 movers
  4. Bronx County, NY: 325 movers
  5. Philadelphia County, PA: 299 movers

Movers from New Jersey:

  1. Middlesex County: 2,782 movers
  2. Burlington County: 1,219 movers
  3. Somerset County: 1,151 movers
  4. Essex County: 963 movers
  5. Monmouth County: 895 movers

Sources:

Art All Night, http://www.artallnighttrenton.org/history-of-aan/

Artworks, http://artworkstrenton.org/adult-education/

U.S. Census Bureau

 



Elizabeth Whalen