Thanks to the COVID pandemic, many of us got to experience remote working. While you may have intended to eventually return to the office, working from a home office can have many benefits.
Research shows that remote working can improve job satisfaction, strike a better work-life balance, and work in a space they feel more comfortable. Moreover, statistical evidence shows that remote work can boost productivity and positively impact mental wellbeing and quality of life. Among other things, remote workers can also benefit from:
- More job flexibility
- Greater autonomy
- Increased motivation
- Lower commuting costs
- Lower stress
But working remotely doesn’t just mean working from home. So, in this article, we’ll explore some of the best places to work remotely — both near and far!
Relocating: 3 Best Cities to Work Remotely
When choosing where to live, you should look at:
- Living costs (housing and utilities)
- Activities to do in the city
- Remote working communities in the area
With that said, below, we’ll cover how each city meets these criteria:
Lisbon is an affordable and vibrant city to set up shop. You can find a one-bedroom apartment for as little as $677 a month, with studio apartments for sale starting at $130,178. The cost of living is also decent.
Averages costs are:
- Milk – $0.66
- Bread – $1.13
- Meal for 2 (mid-range restaurant) – $31.21
As for taxes, Portuguese residents are taxed by income, regardless of their place of employment. Rates sit between 14.5% and 48%. The taxable amount depends on how much you make. For non-residents, only Portugal-based income is taxable at a flat rate of 25%.
Aside from money, relocating to Portugal has many other benefits:
- Portugal has good weather all year round
- Most people speak English
- There’s a robust community of digital nomads
There’s also a great food scene, especially in Lisbon. In fact, Timeout says you can enjoy over 40 different restaurants in Market Lisboa alone.
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Chiang Mai is a mountainous Northern city in Thailand, home to hundreds of Buddhist temples.
The cost of living is extremely low:
- Meal out for two (Thai meal) – $3
- 1kg potatoes – $1.30
- Fresh coconut – $1
As for taxes, rates sit between 5 and 35%, depending on your income. These rates include residents and non-residents generating income from Thailand-based companies. Foreign workers are also subject to tax if their income is remitted to Thailand.
Other reasons to move to Chiang Mai include:
- Strong WiFi services
- Numerous coffee shops and remote working spaces
- Warm weather all year round
- There’s a large digital nomad community
- There are beautiful beaches, mountains, and temples to explore
Thailand is a great place to live for outdoor activities and cultural tourism. In addition, it has a vibrant nightlife and numerous restaurants to explore.
Berlin has a surprisingly low cost of living compared to London and New York:
- Milk – $1
- Bread – $1.38
- 1kg potatoes – $1.74
Tax rates are between 14 and 45%, depending on income. Non-residents who work for German companies pay taxes. If you own property in Germany, you’re also liable to pay taxes even if you’re a non-resident.
On average, Berlin has a low crime rate, excellent healthcare, and very low pollution levels. Other benefits include:
- There are many green spaces
- A buzzing nightlife
- Most people speak English
- There are good transport networks
Berlin is also full of rich cultural tourism. This city boasts many galleries, museums, and historical sites. Plus, they also have a solid economy for startups looking for new opportunities.
Getting Out of the House: Work-Friendly Locations
When choosing a workplace, most people look for somewhere quiet with good lighting and access to snacks. So, suppose you plan on taking advantage of coworking or local remote workspaces in the United States or abroad. In that case, there are many options to choose from:
- Coffee shops
- Book shops
- Coworking spaces/ offices
- Local libraries
- Hotel lobbies
- Public parks
- Universities and colleges
- Museums and galleries
- Quiet restaurants
Best Companies to Work Remotely For
Most tech, advertising, and marketing jobs are all for remote work. So it’s no wonder several major companies in these domains have followed suit:
- Amazon – offers several remote roles in a variety of fields.
- Kelly – a remote working agency that connects businesses with remote workers. Forbes magazine rated them in the top 100 companies to work for remotely.
- Toptal – a freelance talent agency specializing in tech, design, and project management roles. They ranked 7th in CNBC’s top remote companies to work for in 2022.
Are You Ready to Start Working Remotely?
Setting up to work remotely in a new country can be intimidating. But it can also be a once-in-a-lifetime adventure that you’ll never forget. We hope this article has shown you the benefits and opportunities of working remotely. Good luck!