After four years cutting through red tape, Florida developers Ken Edelman and Alan Potamkin have received the go-ahead to build a 22,500-square-foot self-storage facility Miami Beach, FL.
This isn’t your typical facility. The pair tapped architect Manny Gutierrez of Gutierrez & Lozano Architects to create a project that they envision being “one of the most attractive self-storage facilities in the world,” according to the South Florida Business Journal. Curbed Miami went so far as to describe the storage facility as “sexy.”
The business journal reports that the developers plan to break ground in June at 633 Alton Road. The facility, operating as Urban Box Self Storage, will feature biometric-enabled entry and a 200-unit wine storage room.
Edelman also is developing a 70,000-square-foot facility in Coral Gables, FL.
- U-Haul is converting the former Center for Employment Training Rancho-Temecula into a self-storage facility. The 38,858-square-foot building, constructed in 1970, is at 27941 Jefferson Ave. in Temecula, CA. The project is in the early stages of construction; truck and trailer rentals are being offered.
- An affiliate of investment management firm Equator Capital Management plans to build a self-storage facility at 29-01 Review Ave. in Long Island City, NY. The firm recently bought the parcel for an undisclosed amount. The property recently was listed for $4 million. The group said it plans to break ground on the facility by the end of March. Extra Space Storage will manage the facility.
- Rockwall, TX-based Platinum Storage gained approval to build a nine-building, 104,000-square-foot self-storage facility at Lakeview Parkway and Chiesa Road in Rowlett, TX. The site is being sold by the adjacent RaceTrac gas station.
- Peter Shaw of Blue Wing Capital Management got approval to build a 50,000-square-foot self-storage facility at 11645 Belleview Ave. in Littleton, CO. Shaw told the Denver Post that he plans to start construction in August and open the facility in January 2016.
- Upper Macungie Township supervisors in Michigan approved construction of Oakview Value Place & Hotel, which will include a 380-unit self-storage facility behind the hotel. The project is on Oakview Drive near Interstate 78.
- Arlington Self Storage recently opened at 12 Brattle Court in Arlington, MA. Executives at Santini Inc., a family-owned construction company in Arlington, developed the facility. The Santinis converted an industrial building constructed in 1965.
- A self-storage facility recently opened at 245 Spring Hill Road in Trumbull, CT. The 42,140-square-foot facility features 362 units. York, PA-based Storage Asset Management runs the property, which was developed by a single-family investment firm.
- Ron Nardozzi and Chad Lahr recently completed construction of a 14,000-square-foot storage facility in Penn Yan, NY. The developers converted a former Ames store at 264 Lake Street Plaza to create Lahrdozzi Storage. The operators received a $50,000 grant from the Finger Lakes Economic Development Center, according to the Finger Lake Times.
- Dan Albracht recently opened MJP Self Storage at 4321 W. Eisenhower Blvd. in Loveland, CO. Albracht started construction on the 142-unit facility last year.