After a long career in the self-storage manufacturing business, Terry Campbell (pictured at top) has taken on a new role as self-storage domain expert at Live Oak Bank.
In his new role, Campbell is making SBA loans to self-storage operators to build, renovate and buy facilities.
Wilmington, NC-based Live Oak Bank is the country’s second largest SBA lender; it has divisions catering to various niche industries, such as funeral homes and craft breweries. Campbell said he wants to serve self-storage clients in all 50 states.
Campbell joined Live Oak after 20 years at BETCO, a manufacturer of self-storage doors and buildings. Campbell most recently was BETCO’s director of sales and marketing.
Roseville, CA-based storage operator LifeStorage has hired a chief investment officer and a general counsel.
As chief investment officer, Ben Carr is spearheading acquisition and development activities. Carr most recently was vice president of investments at self-storage REIT CubeSmart.
Vince Toenjes has joined LifeStorage as general counsel. Toenjes most recently was vice president of real estate and associate general counsel at women’s clothing retailer Coldwater Creek.
“Ben’s investment experience at a publicly traded REIT that is one of the largest self-storage players and Vince’s legal and operational leadership at a national specialty retailer add deep expertise to the management bench,” said Mark Good, CEO of LifeStorage.
Indianapolis, IN-based Bader Co., which provides tenant insurance and other types of speciality insurance, has hired Darrell Gambero as CEO.
Gambero joins Bader after working as president and CEO of Citi Assurance Services, a subsidiary of CitiGroup. Before that, Gambero was CEO of Voyager Insurance Services for 15 years.
Voyager underwrote Bader’s insurance policies during Gambero’s tenure. Gambero has been a member of Bader’s board of directors for five years.
SmartStop Self Storage
Ladera Ranch, CA-based storage operator SmartStop Self Storage has hired Matt Lopez as controller for the company’s two affiliated REITs: Strategic Storage Trust II Inc. and Strategic Storage Growth Trust Inc.
Lopez, a CPA, was a senior manager at professional services firm PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP.
DBCI, a Douglasville, GA-based manufacturer of roll-up doors for self-storage facilities, recently announced several new hires and promotions:
- Steve Thorley has been hired as Northeast sales manager. His territory extends from Delaware to Maine. He has 12 years of experience in the self-storage industry.
- Vince Hanson has been hired as an inside sales representative. Hanson spent more than 25 years in the Army.
- Kim Howard has been hired as an inside sales representative. Howard has 10 years of experience in customer service and sales, most recently with 84 Lumber.
- Stephen Sapp has taken on a new position as estimator, with a focus on self-storage projects. Sapp has been with the company for 14 years in various roles.
- Natalie Beal has been named project manager and administrative assistant for inside sales and estimating. Beal previously worked in DBCI’s accounting department.