This page contains statistics about the U.S. self-storage industry compiled by The SpareFoot Storage Beat. Statistics on this page will be updated as we receive new data. If you have data that you’d like to share or have a question about data on this page, please email email@example.com.
Largest self-storage operators (publicly traded) in the U.S. (by revenue)
- Public Storage: $2.56 billion (2016)
- Extra Space Storage: $991.87 million (2016)
- CubeSmart: $510 million (2016)
- Life Storage: $462.6 million (2016)
- U-Haul: $247.9 million (fiscal 2016 – self-storage revenue only)
Largest self-storage operators in the U.S. (by number of facilities, owned or managed)
- Public Storage: 2,348 (December 31, 2016)
- Extra Space Storage: 1,427 (December 31, 2016)
- U-Haul (AMERCO): 1,360 (as of March 31, 2016)
- CubeSmart: 791 (as of December 31, 2016)
- Life Storage: 659 (as of December 31, 2016)
Revenue in the U.S. self-storage industry
According to IBISworld, annual self-storage revenue was estimated to be about $32.7 billion in 2016. That figure is expected to grow at an annual rate of 3.5 percent over the next five years.
Average storage unit cost
The national average cost for all unit sizes is $87.15 per month.
The national average cost per square foot is $0.97 per month.
Below is the average national cost by unit size:
5×10: $63 per month
10×10: $96.09 per month
5×5: $45.30 per month
10×20: $137.06 per month
10×15: $123.01 per month
Click here to find average storage cost for more than 200 cities or use the links below to find storage data by state.
Average monthly construction spending on self-storage facilities
The chart below shows construction spending by month, according to the U.S. census bureau. Figures are not adjusted for inflation.
Number of self-storage facilities in the U.S.
54,009 (2015 forecast)
Amount of rentable self-storage space in the U.S.
2.63 billion square feet (2014)
Amount of self-storage space per capita in the U.S.
8.32 square feet (2014)
Percentage of U.S. households that rent a self-storage unit
Distribution of U.S. self-storage units by size (2015)