A long-planned self-storage facility in the Jamaica Plain section of Boston is closer to becoming reality after the developers agreed to key changes sought by neighbors, according to the Jamaica Plain News.
The proposed four-story, 132,000-square-foot facility is part of a mixed-use project (artist’s rendering at top) that also includes 132 residential units and 25,000 square feet of retail. The project has been in the works since 2010. The site is at 3521-3529 Washington St.
The project is a joint venture between self-storage developer SSG Development and real estate developer New Boston Ventures.
Metro Storage targets Brooklyn
Metro Self Storage recently cleared a hurdle for building a self-storage facility in Brooklyn, NY.
A local community board voted to support a waiver that would give Metro permission to build a 100,00-square foot self-storage facility at 2713-2735 Knapp St. The site is under a “restrictive declaration” that limits development to either a marina or retail. The waiver would give Metro an exemption to the declaration, according to community news site Sheepshead Bites.
If built, the facility would be Metro’s second location in the New York City area. The company already operates one facility on Staten Island and another in Southampton.
The proposal is being reviewed by city planners.
Two facilities coming to Hamden, CT
Two self-storage facilities, less than a mile apart, are under construction in Hamden, CT, according to the Hamden Times.
Northfield, IL-based The Lock Up Self Storage is building a 750-unit climate-controlled facility at 950 Dixwell Ave.
Another facility is being built by Newton, MA-based PhilMor Real Estate Investments LLC at 466 Putnam Ave. The company bought the 3.4-acre site in September for $350,000, according to local property records.
PhilMor operates facilities under the Casey Storage Solutions brand and has nine locations in the Northeast. The company has another facility under construction in Shrewsbury, MA.
- Graham Real Estate LLC bought 4.8 acres on Centerbrooke Lane in Suffolk, VA, where it will build an 82,000-square-foot storage facility. The developer paid $670,000 for the two parcels that make up the site. The facility is set to open next May.
- Stein Investment Group has applied for a conditional use permit to build a self-storage facility at 1240 Alpharetta St. in Roswell City, GA. The City Council is scheduled to vote on the permit Dec. 8.
- TSG Equities is seeking approval to build a self-storage facility at 401 Claremont Ave. in Mount Pleasant, NY. A 35,000-square-foot industrial manufacturing building now stands on the site.
- Centreville Road Self-Storage obtained a special use permit to build a self-storage facility at 7809 Centreville Road in Manassas, VA.
- The City Council in Plymouth Meeting, PA, approved a resolution allowing construction of a 100,00-square-foot self-storage facility at 2005 Chemical Road. The applicant and landowner is Preferred Unlimited, a private equity firm based in Radnor, PA.