Where New Residents of Dallas Are Moving From

Al Harris
June 20, 2016
Find Self-Storage

Dallas is a powerful magnet, attracting people from all over the country. And we mean lots of people.

The metro area population grew 1.9 percent from 2013 to 2014, according to the latest census figures. That means the population grew by 131,217 people, reaching a total population of 6.95 million.

While some of the growth can be attributed to birth rates and immigration, the big chunk of new residents are movers from within Texas and across the U.S.

So where are all those people coming from?

Another census study, conducted over five years from 2009-2013, gives us a pretty good idea of all the different places new Dallasites are coming from.

Dallas County, which contains the city proper, attracted 108,955 domestic movers during the five year span of time. Nearly two-thirds, 62.67 percent, came from counties within Texas, while the other 37.33 percent came from other states.

Below are rankings for the top five counties of origin for movers to Dallas County:

Movers outside of Texas:

  1. Los Angeles County, CA
  2. Cook County, IL (Chicago)
  3. Oklahoma County, OK (Oklahoma City)
  4. Maricopa County, AZ (Phoenix)
  5. San Diego County, CA

Movers from Texas:

  1. Collin County
  2. Tarrant County
  3. Denton County
  4. Harris County
  5. Ellis County

Embed this image on your site (copy the code below):

All that movement generates demand for local self-storage facilities.

In 2015, relocation (moving) was the number one reason Dallas consumers gave for needing storage, with 47% of SpareFoot survey respondents in the market using storage for that reason. The next closest reason for renting a storage unit in Houston was decluttering, at 15%.

This is in line with the national average–about half of the people that book storage on SpareFoot are doing so because of a move.