When it comes to choosing a place to live, you could say there are two types of people in the world. One type that will look for a job first, and relocate for that position. The other type will choose a location first, and do whatever they can to find a job in that city.
For a majority of apartment renters relocating to Austin, as they say in real estate, it’s all about “location, location, location.”
58.8 percent of apartment renters moving to Austin identified as “location-first movers” according to a study by Apartment List. That means they chose to live in Austin before applying for jobs here. The other percentage of movers, 41.2 percent, were “job-first movers”. Job-first movers applied for jobs in multiple cities, but ended up accepting a job and moving to Austin. The study was limited to “non-student renters who are currently living in a metro other than where they grew up.”
The “location-first” majority is a common trend among other Sunbelt metro areas including Phoenix, San Antonio and Charlotte. Las Vegas had the largest share of location first movers, with 82 percent settling on Sin City before starting their job search.
On the other side of the coin, tech and business hubs like Denver, Seattle, Boston, Washington D.C. and San Jose tended to attract more “job-first movers”. Neighboring Texas cities Dallas And Houston also deviated from Austin in this regard, attracting a majority of job-first movers (53 percent and 45 percent respectively)
Austin appears to be the exception when it comes to tech hubs attracting a larger share of job-first movers. This is likely driven by Austin’s national status as “Live Music Capital of the World” and events like SXSW that make a move to the trendy Texas capitol an aspiration for many people. The
One more important thing to note about location-first movers is that they tend to stick around. According to the survey, 42.8 percent of location-first movers plan to settle down in their new city long term, compared to 27.3 percent of job-first movers who plan to stick around.
Austin is pretty close to the national trend for location-first movers, with 42.8 percent of them planning to settle down for the long haul.
I blame breakfast tacos.