Where New Residents of Austin Are Moving From

Soaring home prices, worsening traffic and countless cranes dotting the cityscape are sure signs the city of Austin is growing.

In fact, the Texas capital is the country’s third-fastest growing metro area and it’s showing no sign of slowing down. The metro area population grew 3 percent from 2013 to 2014, according to the latest census figures. That means the population grew by 57,496 people, reaching a total population of 1.94 million.

While some of the growth can be attributed to birth rates and immigration, the big chunk of new residents are movers from within Texas and across the U.S.

So where are all those people coming from?

Another census study, conducted over five years from 2009-2013, gives us a pretty good idea of all the different places new Austinites are coming from.

Travis County, where most of the city limits are located, attracted 82,014 domestic movers during the five year span of time. The majority, 53.43 percent, came from within Texas, while the other 46.57% came from out of state..

Below are rankings for the top five counties of origin for movers to Travis County:

Movers outside of Texas:

  1. Cook County, IL (Chicago)
  2. Orange County, CA
  3. Los Angeles County, CA
  4. Maricopa County, AZ (Phoenix)
  5. Providence County, RI

Movers from Texas:

  1. Williamson County
  2. Harris County
  3. Hays County
  4. Bexar County
  5. Dallas County

All that movement generates demand for local self-storage facilities.

In 2015, relocation (moving) was the number one reason Austin consumers gave for needing storage, with 60% of SpareFoot survey respondents in the market using storage for that reason. This is higher than the national average–about half of the people that book storage on SpareFoot are doing so because of a move.

Embed this image on your site (copy the code below):

Al Harris