Are you moving to Cleveland and wondering what to expect and if you’ll like the city? Without a doubt, there’s an exciting future ahead of you on the North Coast.
But before you move to Cleveland, it’s essential that you take whatever you’ve heard or perceived about the city and leave it behind. Once you immerse yourself in the energy that is the 2-1-6, you’ll quickly realize why Clevelanders are so loyal to the Land.
Read through these 20 things and feel like a local before you even set foot in the CLE:
1. Boats, beaches and biking abound!
— Postcard bot (@ctpabot) January 26, 2018
Lake Erie boasts 37 public beaches, with two popular ones within view of downtown Cleveland. Edgewater Park and Huntington Reservation offer dog and swim beaches, boat ramps, paddleboard and kayak rentals, fishing piers, picnic areas, metro park trail access, and much more.
2. The weather can be indecisive.
As the saying goes, only in Ohio can you experience all four seasons in the same week. Bottom line: Cleveland is subject to some rapidly changing weather patterns and it’s best if you buy all of the above prior to your move: umbrella, rain boots, snow boots, winter coat, sandals, shorts, sunglasses, and an ice scraper. You’ll definitely want an ice scraper for the winter months.
3. The architecture is something to marvel.
— chuck madden (@chuckmaddenpics) January 27, 2018
Cleveland’s “distinctive architecture” was featured on Fodor’s list of reasons to visit Cleveland and for good reason. The city has history, as the gargoyles, Corinthian columns, bricks, stones, and beautiful homes attest to.
4. Cleveland is a die-hard sports city.
…I mean, we’d have to be die-hard to root for a team (the Browns) that hasn’t won a game since 2016. But Cleveland is also home to the 2016 NBA Champion Cavaliers, and the record-setting winning streak/World Series contender Cleveland Indians.
5. We have a Kardashian…
Oh, wait. That’s nothing to write home about. But Khloe Kardashian is having a child with Cavalier Tristan Thompson and plans to raise the child here. So, yay?
6. Cleveland was built on rock and roll.
— Black Street (@Blk_Street) February 12, 2018
Crowned the Rock and Roll Capital of the World, Cleveland’s music scene is boomin’ with venues like the Agora, the House of Blues, the Hard Rock Café, tons of live band action at restaurants, and – of course – the world famous Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
7. Foodies flock to us.
Cleveland restaurants are continuously recognized by acclaimed food critics and national publications, and the likes of Michael Symon and Jonathon Sawyer have helped put Cleveland’s food scene on the map.
8. Don’t sleep on the coffee scene…
— Cleveland Scene (@ClevelandScene) February 11, 2018
Get your fix on at one (or all) of Cleveland’s nationally recognized coffee houses.
9. Great brews? We’ve got them, too.
Food [check]. Coffee [check]. Beer [CHECK]. Craft beer is abundant in the CLE (it helps us make it through a Browns game…) and to truly soak in all the hops your heart desires, you’ve got to hop on the Cleveland Brew Bus – Cleveland’s craft brewery tour and tastings.
10. Cleveland is home to the second largest theater district in the nation.
That’s right. Second only to the Big Apple, Cleveland’s Playhouse Square encompasses nine theaters that put on a collective 1,000+ events every year.
11. A day at our museums and aquarium is a day well spent.
The Greater Cleveland Aquarium, the Cleveland Museum of Art, the Cleveland Museum of Natural History, the Museum of Contemporary Art, the International Women’s Air & Space Museum, the Christmas Story House, and the list goes on….
12. Our boroughs rival those of NYC and Chicago.
They’re fun, quirky, authentic, and have so much to offer: Ohio City, Tremont, The Flats, Gordon Square Arts District, Lakewood, Hingetown, Little Italy, and Kamm’s Corner.
13. You’ll love the West Side Market.
The West Side market in Cleveland is one of the best parts of Ohio. Stocking up on ingredients for to make holiday gumbo!! pic.twitter.com/fInNUyaI2t
— Adam volker (@avolkertron) December 29, 2017
A true Cleveland landmark located in Ohio City, the West Side Market is CLE’s oldest indoor/outdoor market space and features over 100 vendors. Check out the fish market, grab a bouquet of flowers (and something sweet), and don’t forget to taste some renowned beef jerky from J & J Czuchraj Meats.
14. Stay curious at the Great Lakes Science Center.
Located at North Coast Harbor in Downtown Cleveland, the Great Lakes Science Center has something for the whole family to enjoy, including 100 hands-on experiences and an IMAX Dome theater.
15. Get your nature on at our 21,500-acres of park land.
The Cleveland Metroparks is an outdoor playground with hundreds of miles of bicycle, walking and horse trails, as well as golf courses, nature education centers, and fishing spots.
16. You’ll have world-renowned hospitals in your backyard.
— Cleveland Clinic (@ClevelandClinic) February 4, 2018
People fly to Cleveland from all over the world for the top-notch, world-class care found at the Cleveland Clinic and University Hospitals. Your move to Cleveland gives you easy access to these health systems.
17. You’ll love the lower cost of living.
Forbes reported Cleveland to have a cost of living 11% below the national average. Boom!
18. “Rapidly” get from point A to point B.
Cleveland’s public transit system – nicknamed the RTA or the Rapid – is one of the best mass transit systems in North America. So, no car? No problem!
19. Take a walk on the wild side.
The Cleveland Metroparks Zoo and Rainforest gives you an exciting and awe-inspiring opportunity to travel the world right in your own backyard. The Cleveland Zoo is one of the city’s most popular year-round attractions with animals, programs, events, and learning opportunities galore.
20. But, wait! There’s more!
Are you pumped about your life in Cleveland yet? It’s hard to hold our beloved Cleveland to just 20 “things,” which is why four more must-knows are coming at ‘cha:
- On March 17th, 10,000+ participants and spectators flood the streets for the annual St. Patrick’s Day Parade.
- Get your run on and see the city from a different perspective in the Cleveland Rite Aid Marathon and Race Series.
- Not a runner? Grab on your bike and hit the streets of CLE for a cancer-fighting cause. Latin for “swift cure,” VeloSano is the Cleveland Clinic’s annual cycling cancer research initiative.
- Picture-perfect photo opportunities await! (Your social feed will thank you.) Destination Cleveland – Cleveland’s convention and visitors bureau – installed three Cleveland script signs in picturesque locations around the city.
From all of us in the CLE, welcome home!