The Crossroads of America is getting bigger.
The Indianapolis metro area grew just under one percent from 2014 to 2015, according to census figures, adding 16,956 residents. The current population is around 1.98 million people.
But where exactly are new Indianapolitans coming from?
To find out, we looked at some additional census data from 2009-2013 that shows county to county migration patterns across the United States.
Moving to Indianapolis
Looking at inbound migration to Marion County, where Indianapolis is located, we found that 43,536 people moved to the county during a five year period. The majority of arrivals came from somewhere else in Indiana–more than 61 percent. The other 39 percent moved from out of state.
For out-of-state movers, these are the most common counties of origin:
- Cook County, IL (Chicago)
- Los Angeles County, CA
- Hillsborough County, NH
- Franklin County, OH (Columbus)
- Honolulu County, HI
- Montgomery County, OH (Dayton)
- Washington D.C.
- Stark County, OH (Canton)
- Jefferson County, KY (Louisville)
- Harris County, TX (Houston)
All that movement generates demand for local self-storage facilities.
SpareFoot looked at our own data to see where people are moving to Indianapolis from currently.
To compile our list, we looked at the number of Sparefoot.com searchers for storage in the Indianapolis metro area from April 2015 through April 2016. We also found the top ten places those searches originated from.
Based on our data, Chicago is the top place people are likely to be moving to Indianapolis from. The area generated more than half of searches for storage among the top ten places.
Below are the top ten metro areas where people are searching for storage in Indianapolis, along with the percent share of searchers among the top 10:
|Detroit-Ann Arbor-Flint MI||12.5%|
|New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island||4.5%|
|Los Angeles-Riverside-Orange County CA||3.4%|
|San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose CA||3.1%|
|Minneapolis-St. Paul MN-WI||2.6%|
We believe that storage searches made from one city for storage space in another city likely indicates intent to relocate to that city.
Embed this image on your site (copy the code below):