If you are thinking about getting a self-storage unit for your stuff, chances are you are wondering how you can make sure you get a deal.
Storage unit prices can vary widely depending on where you live, ranging as low as $43.75 a month on average in Las Cruces, NM to more than $150 a month in San Francisco, CA. But no matter where you live, there are a few tips and tricks that you can use to shave some of the cost off your monthly bill.
Many storage facilities offer discounts for military, college students, seniors and organizations. Be sure to take advantage of these deals, you might save 10-15% percent on monthly rent. Most offers do not require self storage coupons or promo codes. They either automatically apply, or you simply have to ask at the facility.
Below are some of the best self-storage discounts available at storage facilities across the country:
First Month Free Self-Storage Discounts
- SpareFoot: Find storage facilities near you offering the first month free by searching your zip code on SpareFoot and reserve a unit for free. If you can’t find a facility offering the first month’s rent free, there are many other offers and discounts frequently available and clearly marked when searching.
- Public Storage: Public Storage made a name for itself with its 1st month for a $1 promotion and it is still going strong. When you rent online you can also save up to 30 percent off on certain units.
Organizational Self-Storage Discounts:
- AARP: If you are an AARP member looking for self-storage discounts you might have to ask around. For example, Acorn Mini Storage facilities in Minnesota offer AARP storage unit discounts of 5 percent.
Military Self-Storage Discounts
- CubeSmart: CubeSmart offers a 5% military discount for active-duty personnel. Just show your ID when you move in.
Student Self-Storage Discounts
- LifeStorage: LifeStorage offers 10% off the in-store rate to current college students. ID required.
Senior Citizen Self-Storage Discounts
- If you are looking for storage units with senior discounts, check with individual self-storage facilities in your area.
Online Rental Self-Storage Discounts
- Some storage companies offer storage offers for renting online instead of going to the store first. For example, Life Storage currently offers a 10 percent discount for renting online.
More Ways to Save Money on Self-Storage Rentals
Beyond promotional storage unit deals, there are a few smart ways to shop for storage that can save you money.
Choose the Right Size Unit
The number one culprit of overpaying for storage is getting the wrong size storage unit. If you rent to big of a unit, you are paying for space you don’t need. If you rent to small of a unit, you may end up having to rent a second unit. The most popular unit size is a 10′ x 10′ unit, which is about the same size as a one-car garage and can hold the contents of two bedrooms. But, make sure you do your research before committing to a unit by checking out our guide for choosing the right size storage unit.
Choose Amenities Wisely
The more amenities your unit has, the higher your monthly rent will be. Climate control alone will raise your rent by 30-50%. Cut down on cost by picking a unit that accommodates your exact needs, and nothing more.
Find New Construction
If you’re trying to find the lowest price, look to rent at newly built storage facilities.
Because they’re new and have lower occupancy, they’ll be running special promotions to get more people in the door. Chances are you’ll find a lower price at these new “lease up” facilities compared to ones that already have a rotating customer base.
Rent During the Slow Season
In the storage industry, the “slow season” is categorized as the fall and winter months. You’ll likely find better deals and promotions if you’re renting during this time compared to the busy summer months when every college student and mover is vying for storage space.
Bundle Your Services
Sometimes, you can actually save money by getting storage in a bundle. For example, look for facilities that offer storage and a moving truck.
If you’re moving a lot of things, or don’t want to rent a truck, you can also look into Full-Service Storage, where the storage provider will come pick up your stuff and transport it to a secure storage facility for you – and then bring it back whenever you want. This can often be a more cost effective way to do long-term storage, because you don’t have to worry about renting and driving a truck, hiring moving labor, and essentially get your time back.
SpareFoot lists all the storage facilities near you, show you their prices, deals, amenities, customer reviews all of the things that you care about to make a good decision on storage…and lets you compare them side by side. Comparing prices online allows you to save time and be confident you are getting the best price available for the unit you need.